What are the advantages of building and using a data warehouse?
by Daniel J. Power
Major advantages include:
1. Developing a data warehouse (DW) forces an organization to better understand the data that it is currently collecting and opportunities to collect additional data.
2. A data warehouse provides a centralized view of data collected in an enterprise.
3. A data warehouse provides a single version of the "truth". A DW provides consistent, reliable data about company facts, such as revenue or the number of employees.
4. With a data warehouse, snapshots of data can be taken over time. A DW can create a historical record of data, which allows for an historical and trend analysis.
5. A data warehouse with business intelligence software provides tools to combine, display and aggregate data. Tools like dashboards provide information and summarize analyses.
Last update: 2016-10-15 09:12
Author: Daniel Power
You cannot comment on this entry