Supporting Business Decision-Making
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
- Does your firm actively manage decision-relevant information?
- Has your firm implemented any computerized systems to support decision-making?
- Are you using any Decision Support Systems? If so, from what category?
Questions for Review
- What is the MIS concept? How is it related to DSS?
- What are the major characteristics of a DSS?
- How does a Transaction Processing System differ from a Decision Support System?
- What are the categories of DSS included in the proposed DSS framework?
- What components are common to the design and implementation of computerized Decision Support Systems?
- What were the two main streams of research that led to the evolution and development of Decision Support Systems?
Questions for Further Thought
- Do managers need the support provided by DSS?
- Is it realistic to use technology to support decision-making?
- Do managers want to use decision support tools?
- What experiences have you had using Decision Support Systems? What was a good experience? What is an example of a bad experience?
- Find an example of a Decision Support System at a Web site. Use the DSS Framework and classify the DSS.
- Search for the term DSS using 2 Web search engines.
- Visit the Web sites of Information Week (www.informationweek.com), Internet Week (www.internetwk.com) and CIO (www.cio.com) and search for articles on key terms from this chapter like DSS, and MIS.