Designing and Developing Decision Support Systems
- Does your company have any current DSS projects? If so, what tools and software are being used?
- Is your company using rapid prototyping to develop DSS?
- Is there appropriate user involvement in DSS projects?
- Does your company use a structured systems development process that includes (1) initiation and diagnosis, (2) acquisition (build or buy), and (3) introduction of the new system?
Questions for Review
- What is rapid prototyping? What is SDLC? What is end-user DSS development?
- What are alternative design and development steps? Does one process seem to work better for Enterprise-Wide DSS and another for one-time or ad hoc DSS?
- Who participates in a DSS project?
- What is involved in managing a DSS project?
Questions for Discussion
- Should DSS be built in-house or purchased off-the-shelf?
- Who should design and develop DSS? Is this an IS department task? Do we need a design team?
- How much data should be collected during the diagnosis step? Who should collect it? Is a consultant needed?
Conduct a search for the terms SDLC, systems development, prototyping, RAD, JAD, end-user development. Prepare a list of Web links for one of these topics.