Designing and Evaluating DSS User Interfaces
- What software development products are primarily used in your company?
- Does your company have user interface guidelines for systems?
- Does your company involve potential users in the design and development of new applications?
- Are users satisfied with the user interfaces of current DSS?
Questions for Review
- What is a user interface?
- What are the various user interface styles?
- What steps should be followed in building a DSS User Interface?
- What factors influence the success of a DSS user interface?
- What is the ROMC approach? What is an example of each ROMC entity?
- What are five important guidelines for designing a user interface? Why is each especially important?
Questions for Discussion
- What user interface style do you prefer? Why? Is a GUI better for building DSS?
- Why are graphics and charts important in DSS?
- Examine a DSS user interface. Can you identify the ROMC entities?
- What is meant by the statement "From the userís perspective, the dialog is the system"? Do you agree with this statement? Discuss.
- User interface design guidelines standardize the "look and feel" of a user interface. Why is this important?
- Should a DSS provide shortcuts for frequent users?
- Search the Web to find sites on human-computer interaction and user interface design.
- Visit Dragon Systems (http://www.dragonsystems.com/) and find out about Dragon Naturally speaking continuous speech recognition software.