Implementing Communications-Driven and Group Decision Support Systems
- Does your company use Email? Groupware? GDSS?
- Does your company have an Intranet? A videoconferencing facility?
- Does your company have a computer-supported meeting room?
- What computerized tools are used to support teamwork?
Questions for Review
- What are the four categories of group decision support situations?
- What are three examples of group support tools?
- When would you use various group support tools?
- How can computing technology support collaboration?
- How can videoconferencing, groupware, and intranets help the functioning of international corporations?
- What is a definition for a "Virtual Organization"?
Questions for Further Thought
- Why do managers need the support provided by GDSS?
- What technology makes a virtual organization possible? Intranets, Extranets, Email, chat rooms, list serves, voice mail, telephone, video-conferences, on-line discussion groups, groupware.
- How can group support systems alter organizational structures and relationships?
- What is the role and importance of trust, control, and communication in a virtual organization?
- Find an example of a Group Decision Support System.
- Search for the terms GDSS and Group Decision Support System using at least 2 search engines. What did you find?
- Visit GroupSystems.com and GDSS.com.