Decision Support News
D. J. Power, Editor
September 29, 2013 Vol. 14, No. 20
1) What decision support data should be anonymous, confidential, private?
2) Recent DSS News Headlines
3) Upcoming Decision Support Conferences/Call for Papers
What decision support data should be anonymous, confidential, private?
by Daniel Power
Big data can mean big problems for individuals and organizations. Edward Snowden's NSA leaks demonstrate some of the problems of data privacy and security. Also, many people wrongly assume there is a right to privacy in the United States. Linder (2013) notes however that "the U. S. Constitution contains no express right to privacy." He does explore some implicit protections in the U.S. Constitution, but the framers of the U.S. Constitution did not and could not anticipate the rapidly evolving technology possibilities for collecting and analyzing data about people, their beliefs and behaviors. Organizations are collecting extensive data about individuals including customers, employees, and suppliers. More behavioral and unstructured data will be collected in the future and it will be analyzed.
Continue reading at
Click for more Frequently Asked Questions
2) Recent DSS News Headlines
09/27/2013IBM helps Inland Northwest Health Services
deliver cloud-based healthcare solution. Check release.
09/26/2013 Businesses make strategic use of Vine and Pinterest. Check release.
3) Upcoming Decision Support Conferences/Call for Papers/Books
1. SIGDSS Workshop "Reshaping Society through Analytics, Collaboration, and Decision Support" December 15, 2013 in Milan,
2. DSI Annual meeting, Baltimore, MD Nov. 16-19, 2013
3. Deadline December 9, 2013 Call for papers: Group Decision Making and
Web 3.0, Toulouse. Click here
4. ICIS December 15-18, 2013 Click here
5. Deadline December 15, 2013. Call for papers: DSS 2.0 – Supporting decision making with new technologies, Paris, June 2-5, 2014 Click here
Order Dan Power's new book: Decision Support, Analytics, and Business Intelligence, Second Edition
Become a Business Expert Press author
You may leave the DSSNews list by sending a message to: MAILSERV@uni.edu
where the body of the message contains: UNSUB dssnews
Please tell your friends they may join the list by sending a
message to: MAILSERV@uni.edu where the body of the message
contains: SUB dssnews
About Decision Support News |
Decision Support News is copyrighted (c) 2013 by D. J. Power.
your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Daniel J. Power at http://www.linkedin.com/in/danpower
This list is hosted by the University of Northern Iowa in the
spirit of cooperation with the network community. The opinions
expressed by contributors do not necessarily reflect those of the
University or its employees. The University shall not be liable for
any damages which may result directly or indirectly from errors
or omissions in or application of information distributed via
this group. Thanks to University of Northern Iowa.
Thanks for supporting Decision Support News (aka DSS News) and DSSResources.com.