Decision Support News
D. J. Power, Editor
October 27, 2013 Vol. 14, No. 22
1) What is augmented decision-making?
2) Recent DSS News Headlines
3) Upcoming Decision Support Conferences/Call for Papers
What is augmented decision-making?
by Daniel Power
People often make bad or "less" than optimal decisions. Do you think it would be great if a computer was providing advice and information in real-time relevant to decisions that you needed to make? Imagine a salesperson about to meet a prospective customer who could quickly read about prior interactions with the person or a manager with an intelligent assistant that provided reminders and decision-relevant facts. These are augmented decision-making scenarios. Augmented decision-making is the promise that if a person so chooses, then a computer can be companion, advisor and more on an ongoing, context aware, networked basis. In some ways these scenarios sound scary, what if a person can't "unplug" or is told to use augmentation.
Continue reading at
Click for more Frequently Asked Questions
2) Recent DSS News Headlines
10/24/2013 IBM study: Security officers gaining a strategic voice, transforming technology and business in global organizations. Check release.
10/24/2013 Syncsort and Cloudera to co-present at Strata conference on Bridging the Big Iron and Big Data Gap with Hadoop. Check release.
3) Upcoming Decision Support Conferences/Call for Papers/Books
1. SIGDSS Workshop "Reshaping Society through Analytics, Collaboration, and Decision Support" December 15, 2013 in Milan,
2. DSI Annual meeting, Baltimore, MD Nov. 16-19, 2013
3. Deadline December 9, 2013 Call for papers: Group Decision Making and
Web 3.0, Toulouse. Click here
4. ICIS December 15-18, 2013 Click here
5. Deadline December 15, 2013. Call for papers: DSS 2.0 – Supporting decision making with new technologies, Paris, June 2-5, 2014 Click here
Order Dan Power's new book: Decision Support, Analytics, and Business Intelligence, Second Edition
Become a Business Expert Press author
You may leave the DSSNews list by sending a message to: MAILSERV@uni.edu
where the body of the message contains: UNSUB dssnews
Please tell your friends they may join the list by sending a
message to: MAILSERV@uni.edu where the body of the message
contains: SUB dssnews
About Decision Support News |
Decision Support News is copyrighted (c) 2013 by D. J. Power.
your questions to email@example.com.
Daniel J. Power at http://www.linkedin.com/in/danpower
This list is hosted by the University of Northern Iowa in the
spirit of cooperation with the network community. The opinions
expressed by contributors do not necessarily reflect those of the
University or its employees. The University shall not be liable for
any damages which may result directly or indirectly from errors
or omissions in or application of information distributed via
this group. Thanks to University of Northern Iowa.
Thanks for supporting Decision Support News (aka DSS News) and DSSResources.com.