Decision Support News
D. J. Power, Editor
September 30, 2018 Vol. 19, No. 20
1) What is decision automation?
2) Recent Decision Support News Headlines
3) Upcoming Decision Support Conferences/Call for Papers
Check Power, D., C. Heavin, J. McDermott & M. Daly (2018), "Defining business analytics: an empirical approach," Journal of Business Analytics, 1:1, 40-53, DOI: 10.1080/2573234X.2018.1507605 . Link to this article at https://doi.org/10.1080/2573234X.2018.1507605.
1) What is decision automation?
by Daniel J. Power
Decision automation (DA) means software rather than people make decisions. The concept of decision automation is deceptively simple and intriguingly complex. On the surface the idea is to write a computer program that uses data, rules and criteria to make decisions. A decision automation system replaces and eliminates the need for a human decision maker in a specific decision situation. Business rules and programmed instructions are triggered by inputs and events and then the program "makes" a choice and initiates action. The greatly expanded and evolving computing infrastructure makes it increasingly cost effective to apply decision automation in situations where that had been prohibitively costly. A decision automation system is NOT a decision support system.
Continue reading this updated, classic column at
Click for more Frequently Asked Questions
2) Recent Decision Support Headlines
09/27/2018 Digitalization spurs disruption and growth in the mobility and other downstream services market. Check release.
09/27/2018 Alternative Data Group launches a new API platform for wrangling alternative data. Check release.
3) Upcoming Decision Support Conferences
1. DSI 2018 Annual Meeting November 17-19, 2018 in Chicago, IL. Check http://dssresources.com/faq/index.php?action=artikel&id=415.
2. Pre-ICIS SIGDSA Event, December 12-13, 2018 in San Francisco, California, USA. The theme is Decision Analytics Connecting People, Data, and Things at URL https://preicis2017sigdsa.wordpress.com/
3. Call for Papers: ICDSST 2019, May 27-29, 2019, Madiera, Portugal. Check http://dssresources.com/news/5024.php. Deadline submission of full papers: 30 November 2018.
4. Call for Papers: Special issue Journal of Decision Systems on Cognitive Bias, Decision Styles and Risk Attitudes. Check call. Deadline: December 30, 2018.
5. Call for articles Journal of Business Analytics, an official journal of the Operational Research Society. The journal serves the emerging and rapidly growing community of business analytics both in academia and industry. Check https://www.tandfonline.com/toc/tjba20/current.
Order Daniel Power and Ciara Heavin's book: Decision Support, Analytics, and Business Intelligence, Third Edition, Click here
Become a Business Expert Press author
New book: Power, D. and C. Heavin, Data-Based Decision Making And Digital Transformation, Business Expert Press, 2018 at URL Click here. EBook Price $19.95, Print Price $34.95, In Stock June 10, 2018.
Power & Heavin (2018) argue "Digital disruption is accelerating. Implementing a successful digital transformation strategy requires that senior managers make trade-off decisions to reinvent a business. Equally important all decision makers must learn to ask the right questions, use data and computer support in decision making, and increase their knowledge and skills. Creating a data-centric culture and rewarding data-based decision making leads to successful digital transformation."
You may leave the DSS News mailing list by sending an email to
Please tell your friends they may join the list by sending
an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
About Decision Support News |
Decision Support News is copyrighted (c) 2018 by D. J. Power.
Please send your questions to email@example.com.
Connect with Daniel J. Power at http://www.linkedin.com/in/danpower
The DSS News mailing list is hosted by the University of Northern Iowa in the spirit of cooperation with the network community. The opinions
expressed by contributors do not necessarily reflect those of the
University or its employees. The University shall not be liable for
any damages which may result directly or indirectly from errors
or omissions in or application of information distributed via
this group. Thanks to University of Northern Iowa.
Thanks for supporting Decision Support News (aka DSS News) and DSSResources.com.