Decision Support News
D. J. Power, Editor
October 27, 2019 Vol. 20, No. 22
Inaugural newsletter issue May 10, 2000, this is issue 507
1) What is adaptive planning?
2) Recent Decision Support News Headlines
3) Upcoming Decision Support Conferences/Call for Papers
1) What is adaptive planning?
by Daniel J. Power
Adaptive planning is a process and theory for coping with change and complexity. Adaptive planning ideas have been applied and discussed in multiple disciplines. Agile planning is one form of adaptive planning. In an agile environment, planning occurs frequently in project teams and at broader organization levels. Rolling waves of planning occur as a project or task progresses and as details become clearer. Activities and tasks are timeboxed and completed in discreet chunks. Finally, managers assess task complexity and estimate task effort. Adaptive planning is a human process the can perhaps be imitated or assisted using software-based decision and planning support.
Continue reading this column at
Click for more Frequently Asked Questions
2) Recent Decision Support Headlines
10/23/2019 My Ally releases the first single source Artificial Intelligence platform for talent lifecycle management. Check release.
10/23/2019 Oklahoma Health Care Authority expands Virtual Pharmacist program to high-risk SoonerCare members. Check release.
3) Upcoming Decision Support Conferences
1. 2019 Decision Sciences Institute Annual Conference New Orleans, LA, November 23 - 25, 2019. Check site.
2. Call for Papers: IFIP WG8.3 Decision Support 2020 in Wroclaw, Poland. Deadline December 15, 2019. Check release.
3. Call for Papers AMCIS 2020 SIGDSA, August 12 - 16, 2020, Salt Lake City, Utah. Submission begins January 6, 2020. Check release.
4. KDD 2020 will convene in San Diego, California Aug. 22-27, 2020. Check release.
5. Call for articles Journal of Business Analytics, an official journal of the Operational Research Society. The journal serves the emerging and rapidly growing community of business analytics both in academia and industry. Check https://www.tandfonline.com/toc/tjba20/current.
Order Daniel Power and Ciara Heavin's book: Decision Support, Analytics, and Business Intelligence, Third Edition, Click here
Become a Business Expert Press author
New book: Power, D. and C. Heavin, Data-Based Decision Making And Digital Transformation, Business Expert Press, 2018 at URL Click here. EBook Price $19.95, Print Price $34.95, In Stock June 10, 2018.
Power & Heavin (2018) argue "Digital disruption is accelerating. Implementing a successful digital transformation strategy requires that senior managers make trade-off decisions to reinvent a business. Equally important all decision makers must learn to ask the right questions, use data and computer support in decision making, and increase their knowledge and skills. Creating a data-centric culture and rewarding data-based decision making leads to successful digital transformation."
You may leave the DSS News mailing list by sending an email to
Please tell your friends they may join the list by sending
an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
About Decision Support News |
Decision Support News is copyrighted (c) 2019 by D. J. Power.
Please send your questions to email@example.com.
Connect with Daniel J. Power at http://www.linkedin.com/in/danpower
The DSS News mailing list is hosted by the University of Northern Iowa in the spirit of cooperation with the network community. The opinions
expressed by contributors do not necessarily reflect those of the
University or its employees. The University shall not be liable for
any damages which may result directly or indirectly from errors
or omissions in or application of information distributed via
this group. Thanks to University of Northern Iowa.
Thanks for supporting Decision Support News (aka DSS News) and DSSResources.com.