Decision Support News
D. J. Power, Editor
January 19, 2020 Vol. 21, No. 02
Inaugural newsletter issue was May 10, 2000, this is issue 512
1) What is the role of an agile coach?
2) Recent Decision Support News Headlines
3) Upcoming Decision Support Conferences/Call for Papers
1) What is the role of an agile coach?
by Daniel J. Power
The job description for an agile coach is loosely defined. According to Layton (2012), an "agile coach is someone who is experienced in implementing agile projects and can share that experience with a project team. The agile coach is responsible for providing feedback and advice to new agile project teams, and also to teams who want to perform at a higher level." An agile coach has a mentoring or coaching role and may or may not be part of a scrum or project team. The coach may be an outside expert, but he/she has worked in an agile project environment and has often successfully run agile projects. An agile coach provides objective, unbiased guidance. An agile coach teaches team members to be agile and to follow an agile process. An agile coach helps an organization embrace agile as a culture shift.
Continue reading this column at
Click for more Frequently Asked Questions
2) Recent Decision Support Headlines
01/14/2020 90% of business leaders say their industry has become more competitive. Check release.
01/13/2020 SAS delivers priceless retail planning capabilities in the hypercompetitive Age of Amazon. Check release.
3) Upcoming Decision Support Conferences
1. IFIP WG8.3 Decision Support 2020 in Wroclaw, Poland, June 24-26, 2020. Check release.
2. Call for Papers AMCIS 2020 SIGDSA, August 12-16, 2020, Salt Lake City, Utah. Submission begins January 6, 2020. Check release.
3. KDD 2020 will convene in San Diego, California Aug. 22-27, 2020. Check release.
4. Call for articles Journal of Business Analytics, an official journal of the Operational Research Society. The journal serves the emerging and rapidly growing community of business analytics both in academia and industry. Check https://www.tandfonline.com/toc/tjba20/current.
Order Daniel Power and Ciara Heavin's book: Decision Support, Analytics, and Business Intelligence, Third Edition, Click here
Become a Business Expert Press author
New book: Power, D. and C. Heavin, Data-Based Decision Making And Digital Transformation, Business Expert Press, 2018 at URL Click here. EBook Price $19.95, Print Price $34.95, In Stock June 10, 2018.
Power & Heavin (2018) argue "Digital disruption is accelerating. Implementing a successful digital transformation strategy requires that senior managers make trade-off decisions to reinvent a business. Equally important all decision makers must learn to ask the right questions, use data and computer support in decision making, and increase their knowledge and skills. Creating a data-centric culture and rewarding data-based decision making leads to successful digital transformation."
You may leave the DSS News mailing list by sending an email to
Please tell your friends they may join the list by sending
an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
About Decision Support News |
Decision Support News is copyrighted (c) 2020 by D. J. Power.
Please send your questions to email@example.com.
Connect with Daniel J. Power at http://www.linkedin.com/in/danpower
The DSS News mailing list is hosted by the University of Northern Iowa in the spirit of cooperation with the network community. The opinions
expressed by contributors do not necessarily reflect those of the
University or its employees. The University shall not be liable for
any damages which may result directly or indirectly from errors
or omissions in or application of information distributed via
this group. Thanks to University of Northern Iowa.
Thanks for supporting Decision Support News (aka DSS News) and DSSResources.com.