Decision Support News
D. J. Power, Editor
October 13, 2013 Vol. 14, No. 21
1) What is ACID and BASE in database theory?
2) Recent DSS News Headlines
3) Upcoming Decision Support Conferences/Call for Papers
What is ACID and BASE in database theory?
by Daniel Power
Data-driven and document-driven decision support systems
derive functionality from data stores and databases. Beginning
in the late 1990s, distributed computing facilitated deployment
of new database architectures and led to post-relational
databases. Storing and processing data across multiple computing
nodes however creates potential problems in transaction processing.
The expansion of the Internet and the need for managing larger
data stores faster also led to innovation. In 2000, Eric Brewer
popularized the acronym "BASE" in his keynote address at the ACM
Symposium titled “Towards Robust Distributed Systems”. Brewer
also explained the CAP Theorum. CAP refers to Consistency,
Availability and Partition Tolerance. The theorum asserts a
distributed, networked system can have only two of these three
properties. How are these concepts relevant to decision support?
Continue reading at
Click for more Frequently Asked Questions
2) Recent DSS News Headlines
10/11/2013 HEC Paris and IBM create new MBA curriculum focused on big data/business analytics. Check release.
10/10/2013 SAP named a category leader in data management, Business Intelligence and Basel III by Chartis. Check release.
3) Upcoming Decision Support Conferences/Call for Papers/Books
1. SIGDSS Workshop "Reshaping Society through Analytics, Collaboration, and Decision Support" December 15, 2013 in Milan,
2. DSI Annual meeting, Baltimore, MD Nov. 16-19, 2013
3. Deadline December 9, 2013 Call for papers: Group Decision Making and
Web 3.0, Toulouse. Click here
4. ICIS December 15-18, 2013 Click here
5. Deadline December 15, 2013. Call for papers: DSS 2.0 – Supporting decision making with new technologies, Paris, June 2-5, 2014 Click here
Order Dan Power's new book: Decision Support, Analytics, and Business Intelligence, Second Edition
Become a Business Expert Press author
You may leave the DSSNews list by sending a message to: MAILSERV@uni.edu
where the body of the message contains: UNSUB dssnews
Please tell your friends they may join the list by sending a
message to: MAILSERV@uni.edu where the body of the message
contains: SUB dssnews
About Decision Support News |
Decision Support News is copyrighted (c) 2013 by D. J. Power.
your questions to email@example.com.
Daniel J. Power at http://www.linkedin.com/in/danpower
This list is hosted by the University of Northern Iowa in the
spirit of cooperation with the network community. The opinions
expressed by contributors do not necessarily reflect those of the
University or its employees. The University shall not be liable for
any damages which may result directly or indirectly from errors
or omissions in or application of information distributed via
this group. Thanks to University of Northern Iowa.
Thanks for supporting Decision Support News (aka DSS News) and DSSResources.com.