Decision Support News
D. J. Power, Editor
April 14, 2019 Vol. 20, No. 08
1) Why is agile important?
2) Recent Decision Support News Headlines
3) Upcoming Decision Support Conferences/Call for Papers
1) Why is agile important?
by Daniel J. Power and Ciara Heavin
Agile hype continues to grow and some see agile as a solution to every problem (cf., Ambroziewicz, 2017; Mandir, 2018). Agile started as an approach to software development, an alternative to the software development life cycle (SDLC) framework, and it has become much more. Agile is not a magic bullet to solve every problem, rather agile is a mindset, a way of thinking, a framework for action taking, a goal, and a journey to more contingent processes, higher performance, and potentially value creation. There are multiple agile methods, e.g., Scrum, Kanban, and XP, that serve different purposes. The Manifesto for Agile Software Development (Beck, et al, 2001) does not discard the structures and processes of prior methods, rather Agile is an enhancer, a way to do some tasks better and faster. An agile process isn't appropriate for every task. For example, strategic decision making about irreversible alternatives should not be agile, rather the decision process should be systematic, slow and deliberate, and based upon merit, metrics, objective judgement, and awareness of possible consequences, cf., Ambroziewicz, 2017; Bezos, 2017. In many cases however, the processes for reversible decisions should be more agile, higher velocity, and even opportunistic.
Continue reading this column at
Click for more Frequently Asked Questions
2) Recent Decision Support Headlines
04/10/2019 BidPrime unveils powerful research tool to improve decision-making by vendors pursuing government bid/RFP opportunities. Check release.
04/08/2019 Techman Robot unveiled at Chicago Automate 2019. Check release.
3) Upcoming Decision Support Conferences
1. Conference: ICDSST 2019, May 27-29, 2019, Madiera, Portugal. Check http://dssresources.com/news/5024.php.
2. Predictive Analytics World, MEGA-PAW Las Vegas, June 16-20. The premier machine learning conference. Check https://www.predictiveanalyticsworld.com/lasvegas.
3. 30th European Conference on Operational Research, June 23-26, Dublin, Ireland. Check https://www.euro2019dublin.com/.
4. Call For Papers: 2019 Decision Sciences Institute Annual Conference New Orleans, LA, November 23 - 25, 2019, Full Paper Deadline: May 15, 2019. Check release.
5. Call for articles Journal of Business Analytics, an official journal of the Operational Research Society. The journal serves the emerging and rapidly growing community of business analytics both in academia and industry. Check https://www.tandfonline.com/toc/tjba20/current.
Order Daniel Power and Ciara Heavin's book: Decision Support, Analytics, and Business Intelligence, Third Edition, Click here
Become a Business Expert Press author
New book: Power, D. and C. Heavin, Data-Based Decision Making And Digital Transformation, Business Expert Press, 2018 at URL Click here. EBook Price $19.95, Print Price $34.95, In Stock June 10, 2018.
Power & Heavin (2018) argue "Digital disruption is accelerating. Implementing a successful digital transformation strategy requires that senior managers make trade-off decisions to reinvent a business. Equally important all decision makers must learn to ask the right questions, use data and computer support in decision making, and increase their knowledge and skills. Creating a data-centric culture and rewarding data-based decision making leads to successful digital transformation."
You may leave the DSS News mailing list by sending an email to
Please tell your friends they may join the list by sending
an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
About Decision Support News |
Decision Support News is copyrighted (c) 2019 by D. J. Power.
Please send your questions to email@example.com.
Connect with Daniel J. Power at http://www.linkedin.com/in/danpower
The DSS News mailing list is hosted by the University of Northern Iowa in the spirit of cooperation with the network community. The opinions
expressed by contributors do not necessarily reflect those of the
University or its employees. The University shall not be liable for
any damages which may result directly or indirectly from errors
or omissions in or application of information distributed via
this group. Thanks to University of Northern Iowa.
Thanks for supporting Decision Support News (aka DSS News) and DSSResources.com.