Decision Support News
D. J. Power, Editor
May 1, 2016 Vol. 17, No. 09
1) Can using a DSS have unintended negative consequences?
2) Recent Decision Support News Headlines
3) Upcoming Decision Support Conferences/Call for Papers
1) Can using a DSS have unintended negative consequences??
by Daniel J. Power
YES. Decision support is not a cure-all or a panacea. Researchers
and managers often focus too much on the anticipated positive
consequences of using a specific Decision Support System (DSS).
Using a computerized system to support decision making can have
anticipated and unanticipated negative consequences. This essay
is a starting point in assessing unintended negative consequences
that leaves many opportunities for readers to extend the analysis.
The following two statements define issues related to negative
outcomes caused by using a computerized decision support capability.
Continue reading this classic column at
Click for more Frequently Asked Questions
2) Recent Decision Support Headlines
04/26/2016 iDashboards recognized among Top 10 Big Data Solution
Providers 2016 by Government CIO Outlook. Check release.
04/21/2016 Halliburton turns to IBM Cloud to help evaluate development decisions for oil and gas fields. Check release.
3) Upcoming Decision Support Conferences/Call for Papers/Books
1. MWAIS 2016, May 19-20,
Milwaukee, WI. Click here.
2. CFP: Friday, May 20, 2016, 11:59 PM PDT. IEEE DSAA'2016: Third International Conference on Data Science and Advanced Analytics, Montreal, Oct. 17-19, 2016. Click here.
3. 2016 Open Conference of the IFIP WG 8, June 22-24, 2016, University College Cork, Ireland. Check here.
Order Dan Power's new book: Decision Support, Analytics, and Business Intelligence, Second Edition
Become a Business Expert Press author
You may leave the DSS News mailing list by sending an email to
Please tell your friends they may join the list by sending
an email to email@example.com
About Decision Support News |
Decision Support News is copyrighted (c) 2016 by D. J. Power.
your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Daniel J. Power at http://www.linkedin.com/in/danpower
The DSS News mailing list is hosted by the University of Northern Iowa in the spirit of cooperation with the network community. The opinions
expressed by contributors do not necessarily reflect those of the
University or its employees. The University shall not be liable for
any damages which may result directly or indirectly from errors
or omissions in or application of information distributed via
this group. Thanks to University of Northern Iowa.
Thanks for supporting Decision Support News (aka DSS News) and DSSResources.com.