Decision Support News
D. J. Power, Editor
May 26, 2019 Vol. 20, No. 11
1) What is age appropriate data use?
2) Recent Decision Support News Headlines
3) Upcoming Decision Support Conferences/Call for Papers
1) What is age appropriate data use?
by Daniel J. Power
The abuse and misuse of data can negatively impact behavior, hurt feelings, and in some cases cause serious harm. Such consequences should be avoided or minimized. In some identifiable use cases, data should not be used so no harm occurs. Government regulations should protect people from harm and build trust in data applications and uses. In general, data collection and use must be suitable or appropriate for a particular or intended age group. Defining what is age appropriate for a specific age group remains a challenge that must be confronted and not ignored by managers, organizations, and governments.
Continue reading this column at
Click for more Frequently Asked Questions
2) Recent Decision Support Headlines
05/17/2019 ISG Startup Challenges recognize innovative tech solutions. Check release.
05/16/2019 Global survey reveals IT leaders struggle integrating technologies that control the flow of business data. Check release.
3) Upcoming Decision Support Conferences
1. Conference: ICDSST 2019, May 27-29, 2019, Madiera, Portugal. Check http://dssresources.com/news/5024.php.
2. Predictive Analytics World, MEGA-PAW Las Vegas, June 16-20. The premier machine learning conference. Check https://www.predictiveanalyticsworld.com/lasvegas.
3. 30th European Conference on Operational Research, June 23-26, Dublin, Ireland. Check https://www.euro2019dublin.com/.
4. Call For Papers: 2019 Decision Sciences Institute Annual Conference New Orleans, LA, November 23 - 25, 2019, Full Paper Deadline: May 15, 2019. Check release.
5. Call for articles Journal of Business Analytics, an official journal of the Operational Research Society. The journal serves the emerging and rapidly growing community of business analytics both in academia and industry. Check https://www.tandfonline.com/toc/tjba20/current.
Order Daniel Power and Ciara Heavin's book: Decision Support, Analytics, and Business Intelligence, Third Edition, Click here
Become a Business Expert Press author
New book: Power, D. and C. Heavin, Data-Based Decision Making And Digital Transformation, Business Expert Press, 2018 at URL Click here. EBook Price $19.95, Print Price $34.95, In Stock June 10, 2018.
Power & Heavin (2018) argue "Digital disruption is accelerating. Implementing a successful digital transformation strategy requires that senior managers make trade-off decisions to reinvent a business. Equally important all decision makers must learn to ask the right questions, use data and computer support in decision making, and increase their knowledge and skills. Creating a data-centric culture and rewarding data-based decision making leads to successful digital transformation."
You may leave the DSS News mailing list by sending an email to
Please tell your friends they may join the list by sending
an email to email@example.com
About Decision Support News |
Decision Support News is copyrighted (c) 2019 by D. J. Power.
Please send your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Connect with Daniel J. Power at http://www.linkedin.com/in/danpower
The DSS News mailing list is hosted by the University of Northern Iowa in the spirit of cooperation with the network community. The opinions
expressed by contributors do not necessarily reflect those of the
University or its employees. The University shall not be liable for
any damages which may result directly or indirectly from errors
or omissions in or application of information distributed via
this group. Thanks to University of Northern Iowa.
Thanks for supporting Decision Support News (aka DSS News) and DSSResources.com.